If you could save just one book, which one would it be?
- Michel chose The Brothers Karamazov
- Linda chose The Shack
- Kari chose The Oxford English Dictionary
- Sean chose 1984
- Veronica chose Love Does
- Connie chose Gone with the Wind
- Sarah chose On the Road
- Noelle chose The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- James chose A Wrinkle in Time
- Caleb chose Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
- Heidi chose Redeeming Love
- Patricia chose Fahrenheit 451
- Sara chose Leaves of Grass
For the 9th year in a row, readers in and around Wichita will be able to participate in the City's annual literary tradition, Big Read Wichita from Oct. 1-Nov. 15. The book selected for our community to read and discuss is the classic novel, Fahrenheit 451 by acclaimed Science Fiction author Ray Bradbury.
The story follows Guy Montag, a fireman. Montag lives in a world where television has replaced literature. Books are illegal, and firemen are responsible for destroying them along with the houses that hold them. After Montag secretly takes a book from a house his team burns down, he begins to question everything he has been told.
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
Reprinted with the permission of Simon & Schuster, Inc. Cover art by Matt Owen.